ATTACK from MARS VPXWIP

VIRTUAL PINBALL Forums TABLES WIP ATTACK from MARS VPXWIP

This topic contains 296 replies, has 89 voices, and was last updated by inferno156 inferno156 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 297 total)
  • Author

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 355

How’s life on the (render) farm?

;)

alandee
    alandee
    Participant
      • Posts 81

Interesting question so here is the log. This is with about 16 render nodes…a mixture of 12 and 24 core blades. So if you add all that time up and multiply it by about 16 thats how long it would take one good spec machine.

Wow, so .. thinking out aloud .. can we get in on this farm action ? That is to say .. for future projects can we donate CPU/GPU time and have a MBPC distributed farm working to reduce some of the burden ? or am I well out of my depth even suggesting such a concept ! :)
    Cheers,
    al.

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

Wow, so .. thinking out aloud .. can we get in on this farm action ? That is to say .. for future projects can we donate CPU/GPU time and have a MBPC distributed farm working to reduce some of the burden ? or am I well out of my depth even suggesting such a concept ! :)
    Cheers,
    al.

That would be cool…would be a cluster*** to setup though. I’m utilising my work resources.

Latest progress is the painful task of projecting, fixing uvs of obj’s. Kill me now. UV layout fixes in Maya and these images show a compositing program, Nuke. Input is a render for each primitive or grouped primitives rendered from a cab POV. That is then projected through that same camera approximating the POV that will be in VPX on to the low poly primitive and saved out as a UV texture that will be imported into VPX. Each node graph represents a grouped set of primitives and each group has 6 frames with different lighting. I don’t anticipate all those elements would be used but will be good to have options. In some cases will need to make new elements out of compositing between these…ie. flasher elements with transparency that add what that render was adding over the base image without just using the render (I think).

Still think it’s cheating @hauntfreaks?

Projection setup for all the groups

Projection node tree

Render layer for chrome rails feeding into projection comp

Resultant UV texture for VPX

Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant
      • Posts 25

My gaaaaawd g5k, good on you for tackling it! I’m a 3d visualizer, I understand all that and what would be involved! Hat off to you man!

I don’t doubt it, it will absolutely be worth it! Pumped for this table. Thanks a bunch in advance!

guga_nt
    guga_nt
    Participant
      • Posts 46

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 355

Awesome update on your work, g5k. I can’t think of a better table to receive this level of love and attention. The node trees (beautiful in their own right) certainly speak to that. Thanks for documenting your progress. Seeing these masterworks take shape is a privilege!

Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant
      • Posts 25

If only vpx had great real-time reflections that gave this result!

Stefan Austria
    Stefan Austria
    Participant
      • Posts 407

Crazy works here … and crazy awesome … Looks like a Work for a real Building Machine :o
    Ah i forgot the “WOW” … :good:

I hope, real Aliens aren’t lured by this Table WIP B-)

chokeee
    chokeee
    Participant
      • Posts 27

Jamie
    Jamie
    Participant
      • Posts 25

Mouth drooling, waiting for the next update!

Knorr
    Participant
      • Posts 4

Iḿ interested. Why or what is the benefit of the projecten in nuke. I thought Maya supports camera based uv render to texture…

great work so far!!!

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

Sorry guys this week has been building my cab so not much to show for AFM.

@knorr re: your question on why using Nuke over Maya

The overall benefit is flexibility

1. You don’t need to worry about uvs prior to render and you can change them post render as many times as you need without needing to render again.
    2. UV mistakes are a 3D re-render if you do it in maya (could be hours or days) versus update obj uvs, export and reimport to nuke and export out new texture (seconds).
    3. Sometimes you’ll want to create a uv set projected from the camera (like the T2 skull), other times you’ll want to use the existing UVs because they are good and no need to change, sometimes you’ll need to tweak them (like the clear ramps). Sometimes you’ll need to experiment. The nuke output takes seconds to try these things (once the obj is updated and reimported to nuke). Sometimes you won’t know until you’ve got them into VPX so not needing to re-render in 3D again to adjust is a benefit.
    4. Almost always you’ll want to adjust the render. Paint fixes, colour and exposure adjustments, paint detail from photo reference over the top and that’s much easier when it is a render layer that is more logical to work with. The clear ramps for Tron used about 4 or 5 different render passes and a lot of composting to get the finished result once happy with that they got projected and output as uv textures. It would have been harder to work on the uvs which are all cut up to optimise the tile.

Finally someone who knows a lot more about all this than me told me it was better doing it this way ;p

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 355

Interesting read above. Glad you’re buulding a cab, g5k. Countless hours of fun with ours.

A2597
    Participant
      • Posts 6

Yea, cabinets are a blast.
    Fun thing about them…you are never really finished with them. Always something more to tinker with.
    (And that’s half the fun)

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

Its alive…don’t look to close a few errors especially the saucers but it’s playable.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.