Attack From Mars VPX

VIRTUAL PINBALL Forums TABLES, DB2S,ROMS,MEDIA Attack From Mars VPX

This topic contains 288 replies, has 105 voices, and was last updated by  JM136 1 day, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 289 total)
  • Author
    g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 114

OMG. DUDE THIS LOOKS AMAZING! Unfortunately, It is not picking up my key strokes .. don’t know what is going on there … Running VPX 1.4 latest “all in one installer” on VP forums. Any ideas? Thank you guys so much for what you do!

Also check the playfield window has focus

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 347

Lucked into Strobe Multiball for the first time tonight, what a cool light show! So much fun.

Calle Vesterdahl
    Participant
      • Posts 7

Should I change the timer interval (default 10) or the user value (default blank)?
    no issues on 1.0

Hey Calle, so in v1.0 the timer was set incorrectly for 60hz so in 1.1 it was fixed and updated to -1 which is default (60hz). From memory you said you were on 120hz so your correct value of 16 is noted at top of script. I think all it means is if you don’t change it your insert fades will be quicker and the 8 step gi fades will be running faster than they would at 60hz which I think is closer to emulating what the real machines fade speeds are. Lots of (I thinks) in all of that though. Others know more about this so I could be wrong.

My question was where I should set 16. When I select the LampTimer the timer interval has the value 10. Is this the value to change to 16 or is it the user value (blank). Or in script?

You say that the value is -1 but I can only see one value 10.
    Best Regards Calle.

Draifet
    Participant
      • Posts 67

Thanks for your answer g5k, I tried (Gsync) to change the lamp value to 500 and 5000 too, nothing changes, then I leaved the -1 value, but it looks fine I think.

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 114

@draifet, @Calle Vesterdahl

Well feeling a touch embarassed. I thought I had updated the timer at the element level in the table to “-1” but that is still set to “10” and then rechecked script and I actually set it in the script which is what is overriding and setting it (hence why changing that value at the object level will do nothing at the moment).

To change it you will need to edit this line in the script to the value based on your refresh. Line 1458 (see screenshot)

-1 = default (60hz)

lamp timer value for other refresh rates can be calculate based on this formula:
    8/60*yourrefresh

8/60*75hz = 10
    8/60*120hz = 16
    8/60*180 = 24
    8/60*240 = 32

Apologies for those that have been on the wild goose chase :wacko:

robwaade
    robwaade
    Participant
      • Posts 113

thanks guga_nt video compression was the fix it is an incredible table even better with fix :gott:

Draifet
    Participant
      • Posts 67

Thanks g5k, tried changing the line and now is working, I think I wasn’t missing frames at -1 but so fast animation, now at 24 it’s better, and tried at 500 just to check and is slower than a snail traveling through peanut butter.

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 114

Thanks g5k, tried changing the line and now is working, I think I wasn’t missing frames at -1 but so fast animation, now at 24 it’s better, and tried at 500 just to check and is slower than a snail traveling through peanut butter.

Exactly yours would have been running heaps fast.

Calle Vesterdahl
    Participant
      • Posts 7

Tried Lamptimer 16 for my 120Hz and I think the fades better now.
    Scripts CPU also changed from like 7% to 3%.

I still have some ball shutter from time to time when hitting the spaceship, but I think I had it on 1.0 as well. I think its the slingshot lights that affects it but culd be wrong. It has been much worse on other ATF releases. So I am extreamly pleased with this release.

I have got dirty pool (place ball behind the gate, see bad pic) a couple of times. Ship down and manage to place a ball while gate is on its way up again. Asked a real pinball guy and this can happen, but maybe the gate is to slow as I have had a couple?

Can the preload be implemented on other tables or is it special for this?

Best regards Calle Vesterdahl

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mike Conahan
    Participant
      • Posts 10

Thanks to all involved with this table. It is incredible. I had my cabinet components on a test stand for the past three months. It worked great and i wasn’t in a hurry to change it. Then i got this table. My flat pack cabinet is here, assembled, painted and now wired with the needed switches and buttons. Working on the back box now. Feedback will be next. Thanks again for inspiring me to take my rig to its conclusion. Keep up the good work.

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 114

Tried Lamptimer 16 for my 120Hz and I think the fades better now.
    Scripts CPU also changed from like 7% to 3%.

I still have some ball shutter from time to time when hitting the spaceship, but I think I had it on 1.0 as well. I think its the slingshot lights that affects it but culd be wrong. It has been much worse on other ATF releases. So I am extreamly pleased with this release.

I have got dirty pool (place ball behind the gate, see bad pic) a couple of times. Ship down and manage to place a ball while gate is on its way up again. Asked a real pinball guy and this can happen, but maybe the gate is to slow as I have had a couple?

Can the preload be implemented on other tables or is it special for this?

Best regards Calle Vesterdahl

Essentially the preload is running through and activating all the flashers (hence the chaotic light show on load).

The way I’ve built the table a lot of graphics in the image manager aren’t initially visible and they are dynamically trigger when a flasher or lighting condition changes or goes off. Hitting the ufo fires a lot of that stuff for the first time which was one source of the slowdowns prior to the preload. Once those graphics are all loaded presuming your system can hold it all makes it quick to fire them again every hit after.

Because you are aiming for 120fps I’d say that’s why you get some dips and if you were running g-sync or freesync to cope with those dips you wouldn’t notice them. Maybe disabling playfield reflections will get you there and if you haven’t already I would disable any AO as you don’t need it with all the baked shading and that is an overhead too.

Josh Davis
    Participant
      • Posts 8

G5k This is seriously one of the most impressive tables I have ever seen. The attention to detail is unparalleled. I just want to take the time to say thank you for the tremendous effort, time and love that was put into this table. I can’t wait to see how you keep pushing VPX to the limit

skitso
    Participant
      • Posts 16

I just wish all my tables were done as masterfully as this. Simply awe inspiring. :gott:

I’m a bit selfish in hoping that you start a new project as soon as possible! :ups: Any idea what you’d like to tackle next?

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 114

I just wish all my tables were done as masterfully as this. Simply awe inspiring. :gott:

I’m a bit selfish in hoping that you start a new project as soon as possible! :ups: Any idea what you’d like to tackle next?

I’ll give you a clue

Stephen Sayles
    Participant
      • Posts 39

awesome! I have one if you need anything (3rd axis has it rendered too)

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 289 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.