Fish Tales VPX

This topic contains 125 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by _Sven34_ _Sven34_ 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Tom Tower
    Tom Tower
    Keymaster
      • Posts 1422

FISH TALES
    (1992)

you must be logged for download

blackvulcan3
    Participant
      • Posts 35

The update really makes this table, I enjoyed it before but now it is a masterpiece. So realistic. Love it.

gbeef
    Participant
      • Posts 1

Trying to download the table the link doesnt work?. cant wait to try this VPX versiopn.

Tom Tower
    Tom Tower
    Keymaster
      • Posts 1422

Trying to download the table the link doesnt work?. cant wait to try this VPX versiopn.

Try now

TNT2
    TNT2
    Participant
      • Posts 154

This is one terrific table. :good:

Stefan Austria
    Stefan Austria
    Participant
      • Posts 246

Try now

Thats a really hard Table – you have to fishing out the Table File first 😉

djrobx2
    Participant
      • Posts 38

I’m not sure how I missed this, but I installed this table yesterday, and it’s a real beauty! Not only does it look great, but it plays perfectly too. Definitely another super A++ release. Thanks Tom!

Tom Tower
    Tom Tower
    Keymaster
      • Posts 1422

I’m not sure how I missed this, but I installed this table yesterday, and it’s a real beauty! Not only does it look great, but it plays perfectly too. Definitely another super A++ release. Thanks Tom!
    Thanks Pinball58

djrobx2
    Participant
      • Posts 38

I understand how they work but in the script there was: “SolCallback” for kickers,flipper,ecc and “SolMODCallback” for Flashers instead.Why modulation is active for all kind of solenoids if it isn’t called in the script with “MOD” suffix?
    Other my doubt is…Fish Tales is a table of 1992,were there already modulated flashers in that year?

Let me try to explain what modulated solenoids really are and how they work, then this will hopefully make more sense.

Flashers and flippers and other toys are all connected to “solenoid” outputs that have on and off states. For something like a flipper or a flasher light this sounds like it should be straightforward at first: table changes the output to on, the light comes on or the flipper flips, right?

The reality isn’t as simple: if you look through even old versions of VPinMame code, you’ll find there is some code that “smooths” these outputs. The game rapidly toggles these things on and off to modulate the amount of voltage sent to these outputs. On Stern pins you’ll even see it for flippers and slings, because you can adjust the strengths for these things in the ROM menu.

So, if Scared Stiff wants a flasher at 50% brightness, it will flip the solenoid output on and off very rapidly so that it’s only on 50% of the time. Old VPinMame would discard these variations and just report that the solenoid is on. New versions of VPinMame track and calculate a running average and send this value to the table, so the table can know the intended intensity. This average is delivered in SolModCallback.

For something like a diverter we probably don’t care about the strength value, so to keep things simple for table authors, the SolCallback function retains its legacy behavior. Under the hood, this is no different than using all “SolModCallbacks” and checking to see if the value is greater than 0. SolCallback also has an advantage in that it keeps track of the value, and only fires an event again if the level goes back to 0. SolModCallback may receive many events as the power levels fluctuate up and down.

I added the initial support for Stern SAM, and later added it for newer WPC tables as people noticed the lack of effects in Scared Stiff and Monster Bash. Support has to be added on a platform by platform basis. I expect adding this support for WhiteStar II like LOTR would be extremely simple as the IO board is verrry similar to Stern SAM, but nobody has requested this yet. For systems older than WPC, I’m honestly not sure if they utilize this sort of effect or not, and if it is, whether it’s worth the effort to bother with it. Some tables don’t do much with it, others like Scared Stiff use it very extensively.

The effect might be used on regular lights too. I think someone was saying LOTR has some targets that are supposed to flash slowly. TRON’s light tubes work this way. I can add these things on a case by case basis, but people have to bring them up to me and tell me what I’m looking for. Even tables as old as Bride of Pinbot use this technique to dim the LED segments in the backglass.

Thalamus
    Participant
      • Posts 68

Damn, DjRobX – thank you for that explanation – learned something new today.

Carny_Priest
    Carny_Priest
    Participant
      • Posts 23

Ah, I thought Whitestar was already set up for modulated flashers. But I’m not aware of which tables make extensive use of modulated flashers.

I was aware of the segment dimming with BOP but there would be no support in B2S designer for it. But maybe the FSS guy could make good use of it.

Tom Tower
    Tom Tower
    Keymaster
      • Posts 1422

@djrobx2
    any news about spk rom (ghostbuster) ? :whistle:

guga_nt
    Participant
      • Posts 10

Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing.

SkyOne
    SkyOne
    Participant
      • Posts 75

ottimo!

RallyRally
    RallyRally
    Participant
      • Posts 9

What kind of scores is everyone getting compared to the VP9 version? I find the Caster’s Club lock to be a much more difficult shot and I can just barely score enough for replay now, but I’m still having just as much fun with the increased challenge. Rock the Boat is a bit easier, when I can get it started.

Anyhow, great work!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.