The Addams Family

VIRTUAL PINBALL Forums TABLES WIP The Addams Family

This topic contains 174 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by Brandon Lawicki Brandon Lawicki 2 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

With the site finishing up soon thought I’d get a new wip going, not sure it will resolve before closure but who knows what the future holds. A few people have asked what I was planning next that I’m working on a collaboration with Sliderpoint on The Addams Family 2.0. He has been working on an update over the past year or so which plays really nicely already. I wanted to do this table myself and when I found out he had done all this work it made sense to consolidate our efforts. His work is mostly finished so it is with me now getting to work on the visuals (which are already in very good shape) but taking them from all VPX shaded to what I did with my previous builds.

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

So this part of the process is horrid…the only way I’ve been able to figure out to do it is either go through the table piece by piece exporting objs which when you take all the screws etc can run into the hundreds of elements so I haven’t tried that way. The next way is to export each layer with visible primitives as an obj. This is how I’ve done it to date on my other builds. The problem with this method is the obj that comes out of vpx obviously has dud data in it so Maya errors when importing it so it needs to go via something else first to make a clean obj it can open, downloaded a trial version of zBrush and that can read the obj and export out one that Maya can then work with.

The next issue to solve is those hundreds of pieces get combined into 1 object so you have to split it apart. The seperate mesh function then turns the one primitive into thousands of pieces often separating a single element into heaps of pieces, you then run merge vertices with a threshold of 0.01 and it joins a lot of stuff back to how it should have been but not how you’d like. So the next step which is my current PIA is to select the elements relating to an object and either grouping or combining them back to an object and naming them. Eventually these elements will also be grouped so that when all this goes through the rendering pipe I’m only dealing with about 30 or so render layers, ie. group all the screws and so on and then where possible preserve the groupings on the way back into VPX so some dynamic switching can be setup like what has been employed in AFM. None of it is ideal…if vpx had the ability to export as individual objs maybe from the select elements interface that would be really cool. Maybe I would be better off doing the grouping in VPX before exporting OBJs so that I say move all the screws to a layer and export that layer and delete and so on. Not sure…I might start this process again and test that. If anyone else has a better idea than any of this let me know as it’s the part that is really tedious.

TNT2
    TNT2
    Participant
      • Posts 185

Dang. Sometimes we forgot how complex this process can be.

roar-
    Participant
      • Posts 51

Hey g5k, out of curiosity will you allow your tables to be downloaded from other sites (vpinball?) after MBF goes away? Cool write up on the process… I had no idea all this was going on behind the scenes to make all this magic happen. Thanks for all the hard work!

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

I’ll figure out what’s next when we get there. I’m not sure what I’ll do yet.

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 355

g5k, so glad to hear you’re collaborating with sliderpoint. Great guy, and a top notch builder. You guys make an excellent team.

Thanks for the description of your process. Sounds painstaking. As a home recordist I can kind of identify — deal with lots of rendering errors at mixdowh stage. Thanks for your patience and skill.

Hope Tom’s site stays open long enough to document you and Mike’s table creation process. Always love a WIP thread here. That said, I totally respect Tom’s needs.

sliderpoint
    sliderpoint
    Participant
      • Posts 17

What kind of files do you need to import into Maya? I use blender for most things and I can group objects pretty easily. I would also be curious what kinds of errors you get importing into Maya. There could be something that we could report to VPX Devs to see if they can help with the export object functions. I do have most all of the objects individually outside of the table as well and I have noticed that VP does do something strange to the .obj files. I’ll have them pretty clean and small and once they go into VP the face count doubles up which could be affecting performance in addition to when you export them back out of VP it may have messed up data.

-Mike

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

This is the error I get and this has been the case on any tables I’ve worked on for objs out of VPX and needing to clean them in something else first.

file -import -type “OBJ” -ignoreVersion -ra true -rdn -mergeNamespacesOnClash false -rpr “layer2” -options “mo=1;lo=0” -loadReferenceDepth “none” “/Users/Grant/Desktop/PCShare/TAF/obj_vpxexports/layer2.obj”;
    // Error: line 0: OBJ file line 176905: index out of range for face creation. //
    // File read in 0.11 seconds.
    // Error: line 0: Error reading file. //

So maya can take an fbx if blender handles and objs. I’ll gladly take what you have outside or if you can prep a file that is more friendly and export as an fbx or a folder of objs as this process is not much fun :)

Rawnei
    Participant
      • Posts 16

This is the error I get and this has been the case on any tables I’ve worked on for objs out of VPX and needing to clean them in something else first.

file -import -type “OBJ” -ignoreVersion -ra true -rdn -mergeNamespacesOnClash false -rpr “layer2” -options “mo=1;lo=0” -loadReferenceDepth “none” “/Users/Grant/Desktop/PCShare/TAF/obj_vpxexports/layer2.obj”;
    // Error: line 0: OBJ file line 176905: index out of range for face creation. //
    // File read in 0.11 seconds.
    // Error: line 0: Error reading file. //

So maya can take an fbx if blender handles and objs. I’ll gladly take what you have outside or if you can prep a file that is more friendly and export as an fbx or a folder of objs as this process is not much fun :)

You can edit the obj file in Notepad and replace all “o ” with “g ” and that will fix it and make it importable, apparently the importer expects another syntax. I had the same problem when playing around with 3dsmax imports.

sliderpoint
    sliderpoint
    Participant
      • Posts 17

OK, check msgs at vpinball. I have sent a couple small test files. If they work I can group up everything else and get them to you.
    -Mike

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 124

You can edit the obj file in Notepad and replace all “o ” with “g ” and that will fix it and make it importable, apparently the importer expects another syntax. I had the same problem when playing around with 3dsmax imports.

Maya must be different again to Max. I replaced the “o ” with a “g ” and it found 260 of them for the file I tested, I scanned through and looked to be correct but unfortunately still the same error.

Josh Davis
    Participant
      • Posts 8

G5K,

I work for a 3D-Model conversion company. I would be happy to test anything you would like to try. Actually there is a fairly inexpensive software that we use all the time for conversion and doing things like combining vertices called simlab. http://www.simlab-soft.com/ I have plenty of licenses and would be happy to give back to this wonderful community that has given me so much.

josh

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 355

Great new WIP graphic from Tom

:)

exd exxdd
    Participant
      • Posts 13

Great topic, I know you wouldn’t let your work to be lost if the site goes down, so I’m sure what you decide will be the right choice.

I read your post about that part of the development and it really made me think an appreciate even more what all of you developers do without asking for anything in return :heart:

Please keep up the good work :winken:

Stefan Austria
    Stefan Austria
    Participant
      • Posts 407

Double :good: to all the Guys here !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.