The Addams Family

VIRTUAL PINBALL Forums TABLES WIP The Addams Family

This topic contains 211 replies, has 79 voices, and was last updated by robwaade robwaade 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    alistaircg
    alistaircg
    Participant
      • Posts 151

If its not to much of a hassle, please could you do a top render of where all the ramps, and pieces fit, Please I need it as a reference on a rebuild

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 127

If its not to much of a hassle, please could you do a top render of where all the ramps, and pieces fit, Please I need it as a reference on a rebuild

Does this cover what you are looking for?

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/topview.png

Batsugame
    Participant
      • Posts 9

Well it covers what I was looking for! Is it inappropriate to make catcalls at a table? :XD:

inferno156
    inferno156
    Participant
      • Posts 17

Seems appropriate in this case.

alistaircg
    alistaircg
    Participant
      • Posts 151

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/topview.png

HOT DAM

it does it indeed

alistaircg
    alistaircg
    Participant
      • Posts 151

Thanks

Stefan Austria
    Stefan Austria
    Participant
      • Posts 410

And where is the VPXI.exe ? … :good: :good: :good:

meisterjim
    Participant
      • Posts 22

Hi g5k, your work its incredible! maybe after finish the Addams you will make
    one Iron man with your skils :heart: :heart:

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 127

I think I’ve stumbled across a way to keep full refraction through transparent objects inside VPX and allow the ball to pass through the transparency correctly. Last night when I was setting up the transparent ramp in my object test file I have two textures for each lighting state, one with no refraction and one with refraction included (the later basically has no transparency). TAF is built with a raised playfield so that the table has a full under table network (Sliderpoint’s genius). I noticed that with the raised playfield it doesn’t show the raised playfield through the transparency of the ramp but it shows the base playfield (shown as grey with no texture assigned).

Once I assign a texture to the playfield (the example with red it shows that base playfield through the transparency only).

Sooooo initially I was WTF….but then thinking about it if I render refraction only for all the transparent objects and project that on to a flat plane at the height of playfield zero it should show the correct ray traced refraction through the transparent objects (rendered with no refraction) and look something like this.

The underlying primitives will ensure the ball only goes where it is supposed too so it should still look correct but the massive bonus is the ball will travel along the transparent ramp and we will see it through the transparent sides correctly and see the refraction of whats underneath the ramp. The only thing is that I can’t think of a way to GI fade the base playfield so depending on how big that texture ends up being, it might only be quite small as it only needs to carry the refraction elements we may need 8 steps of it to cycle in code.

Exciting stuff if it works… it’s a major breakthrough… should also work for the bumper caps allowing full transparency for the ball but full refraction for the plastic.

Fingers crossed it works as I’m thinking.

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 359

What a cool discovery. So refraction isn’t baked into the ramps themselves, but on a layer between the ball and the transparent ramp when it rolls underneath a ramp? Makes sense (if I’m understanding it correctly).

inferno156
    inferno156
    Participant
      • Posts 17

This sounds awesome. Wish I was familiar enough to follow completely, but regardless the end result looks incredible. Keep up the fantastic work!

g5k
    g5k
    Participant
      • Posts 127

What a cool discovery. So refraction isn’t baked into the ramps themselves, but on a layer between the ball and the transparent ramp when it rolls underneath a ramp? Makes sense (if I’m understanding it correctly).

Yeah so refraction can be separated out at render and would be on the bottom most stack and only seen through transparent things (based on this discovery) so the ball can go over it and be seen through it as the objects that need refraction won’t have it baked into them allowing the objects to work as transparent objects. I suspect its a bug or a depth sorting setting within vpx that could change so might be a few unknown reasons why it may not work as I’m expecting but will proceed for now.

Ben Logan
    Participant
      • Posts 359

I was at Pinagogo convention all last weekend. They had an AFM. I thought, “No need to wait in line for that particular favorite — g5k’s version will be so close to the real thing whenever it arrives, I’ll just play at home!” Sounds like you just took yet another step closer toward realism.

:)

Flupper
    Participant
      • Posts 1

This is indeed caused by depth sorting, changing depth bias for the ramp will stop showing the real playfield, this effect has been around as long as I have been building tables. As for the effect by using this issue: I expect it could work, but it will require the projection angle to be right even more so. No other way to judge it I guess is to try and judge it with a ball running underneath the ramp!
    And for the GI part: I think if you put a light directly on top of the original playfield and let that fade, that would also show through, but you would have to try that as well.

Mark-70
    Mark-70
    Participant
      • Posts 159

Absolutely awesome stuff!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.